I hope that everybody had a good start to their week =)
Today I am going to explain to you what a dental hygienist does.
Dental hygienists are registered dental professionals. They help patients maintain their oral health by preventing and treating periodontal disease. During the procedure, the hygienist cleans your teeth by removing plaque and tartar build up, as well as remove staining and polishing your teeth. The hygienist also guides you on how to improve or maintain good oral hygiene at home.
The hygienist does not only clean your teeth, but is also able to do a range of skills such as:
- Providing radiographs for patients
- Providing preventive oral care to patients and assist the dentists with treatment of caries, periodontal disease and tooth wear
- Apply topical treatments and fissure sealants
- Give patients advice on how to stop smoking
- Take impressions
- Provide a patient with temporary dressings and re-cement crowns with temporary cement
- Carry out oral cancer screening
- Provide the patient with tooth whitening (as long as already prescribed by a dentist)
If you have a hygiene appointment here with us at Smiles Centre, you will be seen by Julie. Julie is lovely and has been looking after our patients for their hygiene appointments since May 2016. Julie has plenty of polishing paste flavours to choose from! These include strawberry, orange, mint and grape. My personal favourite flavour is grape!
At Smiles Centre, we have different plans you can go on to help cover the costs of your hygiene appointments. Click the link here to explore.
Enjoy the rest of your week
From all the team at Smiles Centre =)