‘Are Electric toothbrushes better than manual?’ This seems to be a question a lot of patients ask their dentist and the simple answer is usually yes!
So I guess the next question would be ‘why are electric toothbrushes better?’ Electric toothbrushes have many advantages to a manual toothbrush, making them more beneficial.
Advantages of a electric toothbrush
- Less reliant on the ‘brushing technique’ – An electric toothbrush takes the ‘hard work’ out of brushing to ensure you are cleaning your teeth properly. With the high-speed motions and configured bristles, it takes brushing your teeth to a whole new level. You can feel confident knowing you teeth have been cleaned thoroughly, making the electric toothbrush more effective.
- Built in timers – 2 minutes is the recommended amount of time to brush you teeth. When using a manual toothbrush a lot of people think they are brushing their teeth for this recommended time, however, this time is actually a considerable amount less, with the average being 45 seconds. With the built in timers on an electric toothbrush, this will encourage the users to brush their teeth for longer, which is fantastic for removing plaque and improving overall dental health.
- More encouraging for children – Speaking as a parent I know how challenging it can be to get your little ones to brush their teeth, let alone for 2 minutes. With an electric toothbrush, brushing has got a whole more fun, for you and the children. The built in times actively simulate interest in brushing teeth. Electric toothbrushes are also colourful and fun, you can even get ones with their favourite characters. Seems like a win, win if you ask me.
- Pressure Senors – Some electric toothbrushes have built in pressure- sensors. The benefit for this, is to prevent users applying too much pressure. Too much pressure when brushing your teeth could damage tooth enamel.
- Reduced Dexterity- Electric toothbrushes are also very good for cleaning dentures etc for anyone who has dexterity issues as they require little effort and are very effective.
So the question was ‘Are electric toothbrushes better than manual’ and we have given some advantages as to why electric toothbrushes come out on top. But what are the disadvantages of an electric toothbrush?
- Electric tooth brushes are more expensive than a manual
- You need to regularly change the brush heads, which could be more than replacing a manual toothbrush.
‘Are electric toothbrushes better than manual’ we have stated many of the advantages an electric toothbrush has, but what advantages does a manual toothbrush have?.
Advantages of a manual toothbrush
- Manual toothbrushes are cheap and cost effective. They can be purchased for a little as £2 and needs to be replaced every 3 months.
- Easily Transportable – A manual toothbrush is easy to transport and won’t take up much room. You don’t have to worry about being able to charge them aboard.
Unlike the electric toothbrush a manual one has many disadvantages.
- A lot more physical effort is required compared to an electric toothbrush to make sure a you remove all plaque.
- No built in timer
So ‘ Are electric toothbrushes better than manual’? from comparing advantages and disadvantages, the answer is yes.
If you would like to purchase an electric toothbrush or would like more information on ‘Are electric toothbrushes better than manual’ or your general dental health, get in contract with the team at smiles Contact Us.
For more videos and updates about what we do and general everyday dental health questions, check out our YouTube channel, don’t forget to subscribe. Or our Facebook – Smiles Centre