WHAT TO DO IF YOUR TOOTH HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT?
When you lose a tooth, it is scary! You can’t help but worry about the thought of being without a tooth.
If your tooth does get knocked out, don’t panic! – you will never be without a tooth. In this day and age there are wonderful things in place to either save the tooth or replace it.
WHAT TO DO?
If an adult tooth comes out, there are a few things you can do to help save the tooth before going to the dentist, for example:
- Hold it by the crown ( the white part that sticks out of the gum) what ever you do, do not touch the root.
- Lick if clean (If it’s yours) if dirty, Alternatively you can rinse it under cold water. Do not do this for more than 10 seconds.
- Try and put it back in – If you can not put it back in easily, either:
– Put it in milk ( This contains the correct fluid balance in the root, helping it survive longer)
– Put it in saliva in a container
– Or if you feel confident enough hold it in your cheek until you get to the dentist.
If the tooth does so back in easily, bite down gently on a clean cloth to help secure it in place. (You will still need to go to the dentist)
WHAT WILL THE DENTIST DO?
Depending on what above actions you take, will all depend on what the dentist does. For instance:
- If you have managed to get the tooth back in, they will check to make sure it is in the correct position.
- If you have brought it in, in milk or saliva – They will clean it up and try and put it back in.
Regardless of what option, once the dentist is happy that the tooth is in the right place, they will secure it with a splint. You will then need to return a few weeks later for the splint to be removed.
WHAT IF THE TOOTH CAN NOT BE SAVED?
This is something no-one wants to hear, being without a tooth is so many peoples worse nightmare. However being in 2021 there are so fabulous option out there.
Your dentist will discuss with you your options and what one is best for you. But if you want to find out more have a read of dentures or implants.
If it is a baby tooth that has fallen out, do not attempt to put it back in. This could damage the tooth growing underneath.
If you are unsure whether the tooth is a baby or adult tooth, take it to a dentist. Again in either milk or saliva (from the person who has lost a tooth).
You may be sat there worrying about how much this will cost. Yes, dentistry treatment can be expensive but can you but a price on your identity? (Check out Top 10 Celebrity Smiles).
Luckily for you the Smiles Centre put their patients at the heart of every decision. We know how vital affordable dentistry is and that’s why we have put together our Smile Plans. Taking the stress away from you, and making the whole experience more enjoyable!
So you can see our work, and how thrilled our patients are with the treatment and service they receive, head over to our Facebook and hit that follow button.
If you have dentistry work that needs doing, and are interested in finding out more about the Smiles Centre, don’t delay your dentistry journey anymore. Get in contact with the Smiles team Contact Us.